Stress can cause and worsen many health problems such as diabetes, asthma, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart disease, and depression. Meditation is one of the easiest ways to reduce stress, and it's something you can learn to do regardless of your age, health, or lifestyle.
Meditation calms both the mind and the body, so by meditating you can teach your body how to relax, making your mood lighter and giving your body a boost of energy. Once you get the hang of meditating you can do it anywhere and anytime and it will slow your heart rate, improve your digestive process, and lower your blood pressure. Here are some other benefits of meditation:
- Improve and preserve cognitive function: meditating sharpens your mind and is one of the most powerful tools available for fighting loss of cognitive brain function. Regular meditation actually changes the structure of your brain so you'll stay focused longer.
- Enhance short and long term memory: meditating stimulates the parts of the brain that control and store memory so you'll see improvement in both your short and long term memory functions.
- Decrease loneliness: because meditation improves your mood and decreases your stress levels you'll feel less lonely. Your life will be more purposeful because you'll be more in tune with your mind and body.
- Improve circulation: Because your body is calmed by meditation it can run more efficiently, and that means your heart rate slows and is able to pump blood the way it's supposed to. That improves your circulation because the oxygen level in your bloodstream is higher.
- Reduce inflammation: inflammation is your body's defense system sending warning signals to tell you something is wrong. Meditating eases the stress on your brain while improving your circulation, so inflammation is in turn reduced.
Learning to meditate is easy, too. It's just a matter of teaching your body how to relax while you concentrate on your breathing pattern. Once you get the hang of it you should practice 20 minutes a day and it won't be long before you notice a big improvement in many areas of your life.