If you love to write and share your views you might consider becoming the author of your own senior lifestyle blog. Blogging is a great way to express your creativity and help others and can be a very enjoyable pastime. If you think you'd like to start your own blog, here are some tips to get you started:
- Find your niche: your first step should be deciding what you want to write about, which is called your niche. For example, you might talk about your work experience in a certain career, share tips on moving to an assisted living community, or write about places you've visited and tips for those who wish to travel. Your niche doesn't have to be set in stone but you should try to have a clear idea before you launch your blog.
- Learn the basics: find some websites that have tutorials on basic blogging. It's not a complicated procedure and by reading up on several how-to sites you'll get an excellent knowledge base you can build on as you go. A site such as WordPress offers free blogging platforms and can be a perfect start for your senior lifestyle blog. A quick internet search will give you plenty of options for learning the ins and outs of blogging.
- Plan ahead: Don't try to do everything at once! You can grow your blog in stages but you should have a basic set up before you launch. Otherwise you may end up trying to do several things at the same time and won't be able to post regularly on your blog page.
- Schedule in advance: decide how often you'll make a blog post and stick to your schedule. You don't have to post something every day but you should try for once or twice a week. You can also write several blogs in advance and use a calendar to release them on certain dates in the future.
- Spread the word: you don't have to advertise but you should plan on telling your friends and family about your blog. You can leave comments on other blogs to get your name out and maybe place a notice in your community newsletter. Links to your blog posts can be posted on your social media sites and you can ask friends to spread the word to give you more followers.
- Be flexible: just because you think your idea is perfect doesn't mean everyone else will agree. If you change your mind about your main topic or find a certain post gets a lot of feedback don't hesitate to adjust or change the main theme of your blog. After all, this is your space to write and you're the artist in charge!